The first known owner of the Property now known as SummitWynds was Welcome Aldrich.
Holden town property valuation records show that Welcome Aldrich owned a farm in the Jeffersonville section from 1866 to 1876. An 1870 map showed the property was located east of the Boston, Barre, and Gardner Railroad. The farm included a house and barn, a house lot, pasture land, and a wood and timber lot. In addition, Aldrich owned from 1 to 4 horses, 2 to 15 cows, 1 swine, 1 or 2 heifers ad 2 oxen. The total valuation of the properrty and animals ranged from $2,270 to $3,550.
45 Room Hotel at The Summit
Located east of the Fitchburg railroad track in Jefferson, on the top of an attractive elevation long known as "The Summit" In the early 1900's people would take the train to come tobogganing in Jefferson, or enjoy the cool summer breezes. A 45-room hotel located at the top of the summit, owned by Ella Nawn opened to guests and continued to receive patrons until August 6, 1915 when it was destroyed by fire. There were 75 guests staying that evening, with 25 of them being children. Everyone made it out without injury. After being destroyed by fire the land sat vacant for many years.
Summit Ski Tow
The ski tow was in operation in the years 1945 through 1955. It was founded and constructed by William Nawn, Sr. (son of Ella Nawn), his wife Grace and their sons Jim, Bill and Paul.
There was a 1000 foot long ski run with a rope tow. It was operated by a power take off from a farm tractor rear wheel which we had on the property. There were lights on the ski hill and tow for night skiing. It was popular. There was also a 100' x 40' ski lodge house. It has a large stone fireplace inside and the entire building was of field stone that came from the stone walls all over the land. The building had a flat roof. It was rustic and beautiful in Field Stone. There was a restaurant inside the building, bathrooms etc.In the early years the cost for an all day ski ticket was ONE DOLLAR! After a few years the price went up to $2.50.
The ski area was open every night of the week and days on Saturday and Sunday. It would average 50 to 70 people on nights, and on Saturday and Sunday from noon to 6pm 200 people would ski. Of course they had to depend on snow storms, they had no snowmaking equipment. There was a ski instructor and they rented ski equipment also. In 1950 William and Grace Nawn built a new home on this property. William Nawn passed away in 1963 and Grace sold the property in 1964 to my family. The house is still on the property as well as the beautiful fieldstone building with the big stone fireplace.
From 1969 to the present time, SummitWynds has been an active horse farm. First starting out raising and showing Appaloosas, and then turning to Quarter Horses in the 1980s. Riding clinics and horseshows have been held through out the years with many participants coming from around the country. Many champion show horses have been raised and trained at SummitWynds Farm.